Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Old Gods New Books

I love it when people use myth in their writing. This doesn't extend to King Arthur stories. I'm really really sick of those. However other myths written into new works can be done very very well. They can also be done very poorly. I think I certain understanding of the god/goddess is important. Athena is goddess of war. Unless you have a really really good back story that's how it is. You don't have to become a Greek historian to use the myths but you do have to do a little research. Like buy a book. You aren't going to impress most people who've put a lot of time into studying Greek myth so you're really looking to get people with a passing knowledge. You can even introduce characters that don't exist if you have a good story to go with it. The only problem is that they have to match enough that you're not like oh no that doesn't work. So I hope to see more myth in books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home