Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sex as shock factor.

First off I'm not against sex in books. What I'm talking about now is how the author uses it. Use sex to illustrate how much to characters love each other. Use it to show how much they hate each other. There are a million ways to use sex in novels especially since you aren't limited to gravity or how the body actually bends and moves. But it seems weird just to use it for shock. Now let me tell you why this is in my head. I'm reading a book which is supposed to be science fiction. It's 700 pages and I'm only 70 in so it might get to the science fiction part any moment now. So far nada just shock value sex. And considering I don't shock easy it's very shocking. It's selling like crazy though.

Ok to get to something paranormal. I love Kim Harrisons use of sex in her books. I love the book of how to date a vampire and the use of it not to turn on the vamp you live with. It's very practical. I like it when authors bring practical everyday stuff into the drama. I mean they still have to go clothes shopping like everyone else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hamilton seems to have gone a little too far with some of the sex. My husband had someone ask him on a plane if the books were good and if she should get them for her 13 year old daughter. NO WAY. I don't mind the sex really, but tell a full story. She has gotten too wrapped up in the idea that they can't survive 3 days without a million sex acts. ugh

8:47 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

hehe yeah I know alot of people who have stopped reading because of that.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home